About Us

The game of golf hit Indiana like a storm in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Riverside Park became home to the first municipal in Indianapolis in 1900 and from there a group of enthusiastic golfers formed their own private club. The group obtained a lease from the city in 1903 for a tract of unused park land and, in November of that year, filed Article of Incorporation with the Secretary of State to form Highland Golf Club. The Articles were signed by: William W. Carter; I. N. Cleaver; William Donaldson; Arthur M. Hall; James Kepperley; Edwin L. Lennox; E. D. Moore; Samual E. Rauh; William Root and H. F. Waterman.

They hired Scotsman James Conacher to design and build the course and, in 1904, the new 18-hole Highland Golf Club opened and was considered one of the finest links in the country. When the city terminated this lease in 1919, the growing club needed a new location. A spectacular 143-acre farm was found in “north” Indianapolis, owned by early pioneers named Eastman. The partially wooded land on a high bluff of White River became home to the new Highland Golf and Country Club and their old course at Riverside became Coffin Golf Course. Founders Clarence L. Kirk; Charles Hall; George Schneider and L.M. Wainwright led her transition.

Highland Realty was formed and handled the financials for the purchase, the conversion of the farm to a golf course, and the building of the clubhouse. Willie Park Jr. designed and built the course with assistance from Bill Diddel and they created a course hailed by golfers near and far. In 1940, the realty company sold the property and its improvements to the club and the club retired this initial debt in 1941. There was great merriment in the clubhouse that day.
Over the years our club has weathered economic depressions, wars and cultural changes but is still known as “the golfinest club hearabouts!” A debt of gratitude goes to our members and leaders who were, and still are, dedicated to keeping our beautiful club thriving.